Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is one of the most essential vitamins required by our body. It occurs naturally in foods such as citrus fruit, tomatoes, potatoes, and leafy vegetables. It is an extremely essential antioxidant required for keeping the body healthy and boosting the immune system. These antioxidants are also useful to protect the body from
Vitamin C is useful for strengthening bones, to build collagen, to protect against cancer and to synthesize iron. The World Health Organization (WHO) advises consuming 75 mg of Vitamin C for women and 90 mg vitamin C for men per day. Deficiency of Vitamin C can prove to be fatal. It often results in a disease called Scurvy.
Scurvy is characterized by bleeding under the skin, spongy gums, ‘corkscrew’ hair growth and poor wound healing. The right amount of Vitamin C taken through natural foods or dietary supplements help prevent scurvy. Here are 10 awesome, Vitamin c rich fruits and vegetables, that you should include in your diet.
Broccoli is a green vegetable that vaguely resembles a miniature tree. It is closely related to cauliflower, cabbage, and sprouts. See how this vegetable helps in building our body’s immunity.
● It contains antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin which prevents oxidative stress and cellular damage in eyes.
● It contains various bioactive compounds that reduce inflammation of tissues.
● Eating broccoli supports better blood sugar control in diabetes patients.
The lemon, Citrus Limon, is a species of small evergreen trees native to South Asia, primarily northeastern India. Here are some of the benefits of eating lemons:
● Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C and flavonoids, which help remove radicals that can damage the cells of the body.
● The flavonoids in lemons help in lowering the risk of ischemic strokes in women.
● Lemons contain vitamin C which helps in the formation of collagen, the support system of the skin.
● It also helps in weight loss and helps in the prevention of Anaemia by increasing the body’s ability to absorb iron.
Blueberries are awesome antioxidant-rich fruits that are not only healthy but also very tasty. See how this rich fruit helps in boosting our immunity.
● Blueberries boost our immunity by raising the activity of the CAMP gene which is involved in our immunity system.
● These contain natural sugar and help in weight loss.
● They reduce the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes and heart problems.
RED BELL PEPPER
The bell pepper is the fruit of plants in the cultivar group of the species ‘Capsicum Annum’. Here are its health benefits:
● It contains high amounts of vitamin A, thus supports healthy eyesight.
● It increases metabolism without increasing heart rate and blood pressure.
● It is a good source of vitamin B6 and Magnesium which helps in decreasing anxiety especially related to pre-menstrual symptoms.
Spinach is a green leafy vegetable that is considered very healthy because of the following reasons.
● It has got high amounts of insoluble fiber which helps in digestion.
● It contains two components MGDG and SQDG which helps in slowing down cancer growth.
● It contains high levels of nitrates which moderates blood pressure and lowers the risk of heart disease.
Oranges are one of the most popular and tastiest fruits all around the world. Also known as sweet oranges, they grow on orange trees and belong to a large group of fruits known as citrus fruits. They are grown in most warm regions of the world and are consumed either fresh or as juice. Here are some of the benefits of eating oranges:
● As an excellent source of antioxidant vitamin C, they help combat the formation of free radicals that cause cancer.
● Oranges are a good source of fiber and potassium, both of which can support heart health. One glass of orange juice can provide 14% of a man’s daily potassium requirement.
● Oranges contain vitamin C which in turn helps a person maintain skin health by contributing to collagen production.
Did you know that Papaya is considered to be one of the best immunity boosting fruits? Look into the various benefits it has to offer.
● It has several vitamins and minerals that help resist viruses, bacteria and pathogen attacks.
● It helps in managing blood pressure levels and heart problems.
● It prevents constipation and keeps your digestive system healthy.
As delectable as the kiwi fruit is, did you know that this fruit plays a key role in boosting your immunity? Take a look at all the benefits that the fruit offers.
● Kiwi lessens respiratory problems like Asthama, Coughing, and Wheezing.
● It protects against DNA damage and cancer.
● It promotes a healthy pregnancy.
Strawberry is yet another seasonal fruit that acts as an excellent immunity booster! Apart from being a mouth-watering delight, it offers the following health benefits.
● It is a great source of Vitamin C, which boosts our immunity and works as an antioxidant.
● It fights cholesterol and keeps your heart healthy.
● It is rich in fiber and regulates digestion.
Guava is delicious as well as vitamin C is rich. A medium-sized guava provides 125.57 milligrams of vitamin C. This equals to over 200% of the daily recommended value. Take a look at its health benefits.
● This exotic fruit is high in fiber, which aids in gastrointestinal health.
● It is also a good source of folic acid, manganese, and potassium.
● It controls blood sugar levels, regulates blood pressure, and provides relief from diarrhea.
Now that you know what you should eat to provide your body with Vitamin C, indulge in these tasty fruits and vegetables, and keep yourself healthy and happy!